When offered the chance to attend a conference in Oxford with accommodation in a real oxford college and an ‘experience dinner’ in the Harry Potter-esque Great Hall of Keble College I was not about to turn the offer down.
If you ever find yourself visiting Oxford outside of term time then I would really recommend staying in one of the colleges. Many of them offer bed and breakfast in some of the most beautiful surroundings I have ever stayed in. Check out Conference Oxford for a full list. I’d definitely think about looking at university rooms when visiting other university cities in the future.
In between conferencing I managed to get out and about on my bike and take myself on a whistlestop tour of some of Oxfords highlights and hidden gems.
Top Oxford tips
- If you can take a bike with you and arrive by train. Parking and driving isn’t a good way to see the city. However it is the perfect size for cycling.
- Stay in an Oxford college – see above
- Download the Oxford University app which gives lots of background to all of the university buildings and also gives staff and student recommendations
- Make time to check out some of the stunning modern architecture alongside the more classical buildings
- If it all seems a bit busy and full of tourists pop into a college where you will be sure to find a hidden oasis of calm
I hope these photos tempt you to visit Oxford too, it truly is a beautiful city with a little sprinkling of academic and architectural magic. The pace of my visit was hectic so I can’t wait to return and explore in a more relaxed manner.